Monday 3 March 2014

Interview with ballet dance and teacher Arianna Will of Royal Academy of Dance RTS



A founder of Eos Dance, Arianna is a lady of many talents: a qualified ballet teacher at the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD), pilates and fitness trainer, seniors’ instructor, diet and supplementation consultant, a rehab advisor, a Sports and Remedial Massage therapist.
Arianna has worked for 20 years in Italy and the UK with children and adults of all ages and levels. She is now a mentor of the Royal Academy of Dance training prospective new teachers.
With such warm, big-hearted and approachable personality and passion for promoting various charities, no wonder, we were keen on getting to know Arianna better, hence, our questions to her:

Q: What made you start doing ballet initially? 
A: It is an interesting story. I was a real tomboy as a girl and my parents wouldn’t believe I really wanted to wear a leotard. However, I kept asking insistently. I just loved the idea of dancing and was convinced I would do it on a stage one day. Well, they were very surprised to see me carry on.

Q: Have you always wanted to teach ballet?
A: Yes and no. I wanted to become a ballerina just like the other girls, and a teacher when “too old to dance”. However, my more practical aspiration was that of becoming a school teacher, like my mum. I graduated and trained to do the latter but never felt like leaving my lifetime passion for a school desk.

Q: How has ballet impacted on you personally and professionally?
A: I have always felt that ballet suited my nature and the way I was raised. I like discipline, rules and commitment. I have always felt comfortable being told and having to follow what my teachers said. Ballet has probably only shown me how rewarding hard work can be, especially when shrouded in such an enchanting atmosphere.

Q: We assume that you are a very much health-orientated person? Is that the case?

A: I am but also like indulging in treats. I believe there is nothing wrong in letting yourself go when you generally follow a healthy lifestyle. 

Q: How has ballet changed your attitude to food?
A: I am a unique case. Due to thyroid problems and food allergies, I am incredibly skinny and this has always been a great problem for me. It made me feel very unsecure as a teenager. There is no way I could put on weight. I was hoping in pregnancy but this only resulted in further weight loss… A complete nightmare! As I mentioned, ballet is discipline. You must eat healthily if you want to perform well. I do eat healthily to feel well and dance as well as I can. However, I obviously don’t diet nor I feel I am doing anything wrong when I eat up a whole bag of my favourite sweets. Ooops, perhaps I shouldn’t have confessed that…

Q: If so, does it come naturally to you or you are that way for a specific reason?
A: Both. I was taught by my parents that eating healthily is important so I have never had to make an effort to do it. Feeling well is my specific reason.

Q: Would you like to try juice cleanse or any other cleanse plans?
A: Why not. Only on the condition that it won’t make me lose weight, though!

Q: What is your philosophy for a healthy and happy life, and how intrinsic is detoxing to this?
A: I may dare say that I am a happy person. Probably, being healthy is one of the reasons why I feel happy. There would be nothing worse for me than being unwell and therefore unable to do all the things I like. Anything that could support my long-term health is helpful, including detoxing.

Q: Are there any foods you wouldn’t eat?
A: No, not at all. There is nothing I wouldn’t eat, except what I am allergic to. I am originally Italian, so appreciating healthy food is simply second nature.

Q: What is an ideal daily menu for a ballet dance?
A: I don’t have a ballet menu. I follow what I have been taught by my parents and by the fitness-related studies I completed. A good balance of carbohydrates, protein, fruit and vegetables, fluids and some nice comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment